Saturday, July 27, 2013

My favorite sports numbers

The best part of the history of sports is certain numbers tell the story.

Say 61 or 714, and most baseball fans know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm a stat guy. Here are some of my favorites:

215: The record number of single-season points set by the Oilers' Wayne Gretzky in 1985-86. It won't be broken in my lifetime.

2,105: The Rams' Eric Dickerson single-season rushing yards total in 1984, which was nearly broken by the Vikings' Adrian Peterson last season.

100: Points scored by the 76ers' Wilt Chamberlain on March 2, 1962, in Hershey, Pa., of all places. One of my favorite sports numbers because it happened on my birthday. No, I wasn't born in 1962.

.406: The Red Sox's Ted Williams batting average in 1941. He's the last player to hit .400 in a season.

59: David Duval's final round score at the 1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic. He's the last PGA player to shoot a 59. Duval eagled No. 18 to secure his round of -13.

- Mark Podolski | @mpodo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home