Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Staying active in the winter is not easy

There's an application on my I-Phone that keeps track of all my runs.
As I was flipping through the months to see what kind of progress I made in 2013, I noticed a big drop off in November and December.
June?
I ran almost every day.
December?
I ran just a handful of times.
It's not easy for me to get outside when there are a few inches of snow on the ground. It's a lot easier to drink a few cups of coffee, read my newspaper and admire what's left of my live Christmas tree.
But today is January 1, and like a lot of other people, I have vowed that I am going to workout more this winter.
After two months of enjoying Christmas cookies, chocolates and amazing meals, I have to go back to apples, cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs.
It's not nearly as appetizing, but it has to be done, especially as I get older.
There are days when I push myself to run on a treadmill at the gym, but it's just not the same. There is no destination point, wind or sun to battle.
Then I think about how grateful I am for just being able to run a few miles whether it's indoors or outdoors. I am healthy, willing and able.
So here's to putting the excuses aside and getting out there for a run.
I'm ready to start filling up the app on my I-Phone for the month of January.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home