Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What do high school polls really mean?

Why do high school polls exist?
Is it really necessary?
Do the sportwriters voting in the polls really know every team they are voting for in the state of Ohio?
I doubt it.
I vote in the weekly Associated Press girls high school poll and I do a lot of research on Sunday night so I can pick the right teams. It's frustrating at times because I haven't seen a lot of the teams I'm voting for.
At the same time, I'm trying to vote for local teams that deserve it, but often those teams are not being voted on by other reporters in Ohio.
Therefore, I don't believe the teams that truly deserve to be ranked are being properly ranked.
What do polls do?
Nothing much.
It may give a team bragging rights, but will it help them win games?
We'll see how many teams that are ranked in the top 10 actually make it to state this season. I bet there will be a few surprises sprinkled in there that just happen to end up the best in the state.
In fact, I guarantee it.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home