Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All of the screaming in volleyball is difficult to comprehend

Can someone please explain to me why there is so much screaming in volleyball?
When did the tradition start? I mean, exactly what year did it begin?
Players scream while warming up. They scream when they take the court, during the match and after the match.
They scream after every point. They scream when a substitution is made. They scream just to scream.
And it isn't just the players.
Parents and fans scream from the stands and some coaches scream from the sidelines.
I've seen screaming in sports before, but never like this.
One Saturday morning while covering a tournament, it was so bad I had to put my headphones on and listen to Pandora.
But the screams overpowered my music. It was incredible.
There isn't that much screaming in cross country, which I covered during the fall for the past few years so I wasn't prepared for all of the screaming in volleyball.
Does it have to do with momentum swings?
Or aren't players, fans, parents and coaches just wearing themselves out?
I'd like to cover a volleyball team just once that doesn't make a sound. Maybe they clap hands a few times, give a few high fives, but they don't overwork their lungs every other minute.
I wonder if that would give them more energy to focus on hitting, digging, assisting and serving?
Feel free to use the strategy. Especially when I'm out there covering one of your matches.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home