Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Lots of work goes into doing our high school previews

It's that dreaded time of the year once again - high school previews for winter sports.
I say dreaded because a lot of work goes into those small capsules and watch list you see printed in the paper for all sports throughout spring, fall and winter.
Right now, I'm working on compiling the girls basketball previews which are going to run in Friday's paper.
The hardest part for me is tracking down a handful of previews from new coaches, coaches that may not have received the preview info or coaches who simply forgot.
A few weeks ago, we sent out a mass e-mail to all area athletic directors which included the preview forms for each winter sport attached. Athletic directors were asked to forward that information along to their respective coaches.
I also sent out an e-mail to all of the coaches in my list from last year just in case they didn't get the original e-mail from their respective athletic director. 
I'm always so excited when I receive a preview form that is completely filled out with first and last names, heights, years, positions and more valuable information. It's a bonus when coaches take the time to send you a roster and a schedule.
It's frustrating when coaches send incomplete information. That is just more work for the reporter in trying to track down a record from last year, projected starters, records and more.
I also use the preview information to update my coaches phone list which includes e-mail addresses and phone numbers. It's just a nice way of keeping in touch with coaches throughout the year.
Small schools, big schools, private schools and public schools are sent the same message from me. If you have girls you'd like to highlight throughout the year, notes or story ideas, please send them to me at taudia@news-herald.com.
Some coaches take the time to update me on their team throughout the year. It's very helpful and I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into doing that.
I just wish more coaches would take me up on the offer.
Maybe, this year they will?
I just have to get through these previews first.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home