2013 College football HOF class best ever?
Whoever makes the cut, the '13 class is shaping up as perhaps the greatest class in history.
I won't bore you with the 77 players and five coaches nominated. Let's go through the star power.
Four Heisman Trophy winners are on the ballot, and, according to the Hall's rules, winning a Heisman warrants automatic induction, so Florida QB Danny Weurffel, Miami QB Vinny Testaverde, Nebraska QB Eric Crouch and Wisconsin RB Ron Dayne are in.
There are other superstars. Among them include:
- SMU RB Eric Dickerson
- Arizona DE Teddy Bruschi
- Ohio State OL Orlando Pace and LB Tom Couisenau
- Nebraska QB Tommie Frazier
- Oklahoma LB Brian Bosworth
- Miami (Fla.) DT Jerome Brown
- Notre Dame WR/KR Rocket Ismail and OL Aaron Taylor
- Alabama LB Derrick Thomas
- Texas Tech LB Zach Thomas
- TCU RB LaDainian Tomlinson
- Michigan State RB Lorenzo White
- Temple RB Paul Palmer
- Michigan OL Jumbo Elliott
- USC OL Tony Boselli
- Texas A&M K Tony Franklin
Prediction time: Besides the four Heisman winners, my votes for sure would go to Frazier, Ismail, Bosworth, Derrick Thomas, Pace and Dickerson.
However, induction classes for the College Football Hall of Fame are notorious for being large, so expect to see Tomlinson, Brown, Franklin, Bruschi and Cousineau and a few others to make it.
Either way, 2013 will provide one heck of a class for the College Football Hall of Fame.
- Mark Podolski | @mpodo