Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fast, five-mile run is really a four-mile jog

Last year at this time, I could only run one mile without stopping.
This year, I thought I was up to five.
But I was wrong.
Let me explain.
For several months, I've been using my I-Pod to track my mileage. It seemed so easy, just clip my I-Pod on, hit my workout playlist and go.
Not only did I think I was doing five miles, but I thought I was running at a pace of under eight miles a mile which would be fabulous for me.
Then reality hit.
I downloaded the app "Runtracker" on my I-Phone. Run tracker actually uses a GPS to track your mileage. On my first run, I realized my five-mile run was actually a four-mile run. It hurt even more when I found out I was running 11-minute miles, not eight-minute miles.
So much for the progress I thought I was making.
What a rookie running mistake on my part.
Longtime Berkshire track and cross country coach Julie Cole has stepped in to help. She gave me a six-day a week running plan which should put me up to 30 miles a week. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run six days a week, but I'll do my best to run at least five.
So far, the first week has gone smooth.
I'm looking forward to the day I can actually run a full five miles. For now, I'll stick with my four miles straight. I have total confidence Julie's training schedule will help me get to where I need to be.
By this time next year, I'm hoping to run a half marathon.
I'll be sure to use my "Runtracker" app to correctly track my mileage from here on out.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home