Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Picking the News-Herald volleyball all-star team is challenging

I started the difficult task of putting together The News-Herald volleyball all-star team today.
The problem I have isn't really a problem at all.
It's actually very exciting for area volleyball.
I have too many good players and not enough first-team spots.
The players are so good, many of them would be players of the year in previous seasons. Teams were just loaded this year.
Some of the top players who come to mind include Abby Detering (Lake Catholic), Jess Janota (Gilmour), Jaime Kosiorek (Kenston), Molly Davet (Beaumont), Courtney Bowman (Beaumont) and Danielle Hicks (VASJ).
Davet was my player of the year last season because she led the Blue Streaks to their first state title in school history.
This year, Janota, Davet, Bowman and Hicks all led their team to the state final four. Of the four players, Janota and Hicks both returned with state runner-up championships. Janota is going to Iowa and Hicks is an undecided Division I recruit.
I also have to consider Detering and Kosiorek, outstanding players who took their team to the next level. Detering, a Florida recruit, led the Cougars to a state championship her freshman year. The past three years, the Cougars advanced to the Division III regional final where they eliminated by Beaumont.
Kosiorek, an Ohio University recruit, led the Bombers to the Division I state semifinals last year. The Bombers lost in the regional semifinals this year.
So take your pick.
Who would you chose as the player of the year? Would you pick a single player or pick co-players of the year?
Over the next few days, I'll be weighing my options and calling area coaches for their recommendations.
Wish me luck.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home