Thursday, April 21, 2011

NFL QB sightings in Eastlake

I spent most of my Thursday morning at One Wellness in Eastlake talking to Ricky Stanzi's father, Joe, while his son, Ricky, went through a workout with Speed Strength Systems trainer Tim Robertson.

Joe, his friend Mike and I talked a ton about college football, Ricky and the upcoming NFL draft, but I couldn't help watching across the gym while we were talking.

Ricky Stanzi, the former Lake Catholic and Iowa QB, and Ohio State Heisman winner Troy Smith were sweating and huffing and puffing their way through what looked like a difficult Robertson workout.

Then I thought to myself, "This is pretty cool. Ricky Stanzi and Troy Smith working side by side. Perhaps the two best QBs Northeast Ohio has produced the last 10 years."

Afterward, Stanzi told me the two had never met before Thursday. Smith is with the 49ers and started several games last season. Stanzi is waiting to be drafted, and depending which team selects him, could eventually be a starter.

Both were zipping passes to each other toward the end of their workout session. I couldn't help but think Smith and Stanzi could be potential NFL starters two, three years down the line. If that's the case, what are the odds of two future NFL starting QBs working out together side by side in Eastlake on a random Wednesday morning?

- Mark Podolski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home