Sunday, July 31, 2011

See it through to 2014

I spent Saturday afternoon watching the FIFA World Cup preliminary draw play out, and it occurred to me that as much of a soccer fan as I am, I had really not seen a World Cup all the way through.

What I mean by that is truly keeping tabs on the preliminary rounds all the way to the final 32-team field and the actual World Cup. Sure, the United States' rout of (insert unfortunate much smaller CONCACAF foe here) would grab my attention in the early portion of the cycle, but not a whole lot beyond that at that juncture.

This time is going to be different.

I'm motivated to really know what the world has to offer - big country, small country, good FIFA world ranking, bad FIFA world ranking.

We have a while to wait until the next World Cup - slightly less than three years to be exact. But I'm going to try to research as many teams and as many early-round matchups as I can and slowly but surely predict what the future might hold in the months ahead.

Bold, yes. Ambitious, yes. Crazy, yes.

But let's give it a shot, starting in Africa with a Seychelles-Kenya first-round home and home.

I probably won't make it to Brazil in 2014, but at least I can be prepared to fully enjoy the tournament every step of the way no matter where I'll be.

- Chris Lillstrung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home