Monday, January 9, 2012

An exercise in restraint

So, what's new in the world of sports? Anything interesting happen over the weekend? I covered some high school basketball. The countdown to spring training is on for the Indians. The Cavs struggled in Portland. Oh, and I heard there were some pro football games. I really don't have much to say, just wanted to see if I could through a few hundred words without mentioning HIS name. I understand once HE threw the winning touchdown on Sunday night, 9,424 tweets went out on Twitter in one second. Simultaneously, the Internet and ESPN drooling egomaniac Skip Bayless' head almost exploded at the same time. I've watched sports my whole life and covered sports in the media for half of it and I have never seen anything close to this kind of mass hysteria one way or another over an athlete. Love HIM or hate HIM, HE does give everyone something to talk about. But in this case, it was just too much. I made it through all of Monday without turning on ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNRadio once. That is an all-time record for a sports junkie like me. I have had enough. I'm not rooting against HIM as an individual, just the abnormally annoying circus of emotions and attention that surrounds HIS every wobbly throw or fullback-style run. Alright, that's all I have to say. I did what I set out to do. I made it through an entire sports blog without one time mentioning HIS name. No tricks, no clever endings to this. Just the peace of mind that I can talk about sports without mentioning Tim Tebow. Darn it. Well, I'm only human, even if HE isn't. - BTilton@News-Herald.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home