Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Think before you tweet

This blog post is for anyone who has a twitter account.
My advice is to be careful what you tweet.
Especially if you are a teenager in high school.
You may not realize it now, but your words can be harmful.
Sure, you are free to express your thoughts at any given moment.
But think before you tweet.
Would you want your mother or father to read what you are writing?
What about your little brother or sister, your grandma or grandpa?
While going through my tweets the other day, I realized I was following a handful of people who repeatedly tweeted negative comments that were over the top.
The comments were so harsh, I can't even rewrite them.
In the end, I quit following about five people - mostly high school kids in our coverage area.
When I was in high school, Twitter did not exist. I'm grateful for it because I probably would have tweeted things I would have ended up regretting.
Now I mainly tweet scores and highlights. I try not to touch on anything negative. Especially when it involves high school kids.
It's just not worth it.
So please, think before you tweet.
People do read what you write.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home