Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Euclid needs more teenagers like the VASJ sprinters

On April 9, 2012, the lead story in The News-Herald was titled "On alert for BB guns."
The subhead to the story was "Euclid Police use 2008 law to prosecute those using 'replica firearms.'"
I live in Euclid so this story hit close to home.
Just as I was feeling a little down on my community, I visited a group of sprinters and their coaches from Villa Angela-St. Joseph on Monday afternoon.
My boys track notebook lead was on the talented VASJ sprinters who have the potential to advance to regionals and possibly state this season.
I left the practice feeling very proud of my community.
The sprinters -  C.J. Germany, Marcellus Embry, Rodney Burse and Devon Bolden - impressed me.
They were working hard with their coaches toward their goal of advancing to state in the 4x100 and 4x200 relays and possibly a handful of individual events.
"Why can't more teenagers in the Euclid community be like the sprinters from VASJ,?" I thought to myself.
These kids are dedicated.
Here they were practicing in the middle of spring break on a sunny afternoon at school. They could have been roaming the streets and possibly getting into trouble, but instead they were working hard.
Their parents, coaches, teachers and community can be proud of these kids who actually have positive goals for their future.
They aren't wasting their time getting into trouble.
Even if they don't make it to regionals or state, they have already achieved success.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home