Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The excitement over the election of a new Pope is similar to that of a sporting event

When I watched Pope Francis I be introduced for the first time in Rome this afternoon on television, I couldn't help but think the excitement level in Vatican Square was similar to that at a sporting event.
A large crowd was cheering, people were waving flags and everyone seemed to have a smile on their faces. It was an exciting time for Catholics across the world who were waiting for the white smoke to pour out of the Sistine Chapel to announce a decision had been made on a new Pope.
While watching the process unfold, I couldn't help but think of my two trips to Rome.
On my first trip, I was lucky enough to attend an audience with Pope Benedict XVI. While my family and I were waiting for the Pope to arrive, people from across the world were chanting 'Benedicto, Benedicto' in the large hall near Vatican Square and waving flags from their various countries. It felt like we were all waiting to see a superstar sports figure. The environment made me proud to be Catholic.
Maybe it felt like a sporting event to me because I'm a sports writer, I'm not sure.
I do know the excitement level was the same that I've felt at sporting events on all levels.
When the Pope made his arrival, it was as if a sporting event had just started. The excitement reached a peak and the next two hours felt like 10 minutes. It was an exciting time.
For some it may be a stretch to compare the Pope to a sports figure, but if you think of it, it's a pretty good comparison.
Both are held on a pedestal, both are expected to perform at the highest level and both are role models for everyone who is watching them.
Let's hope this new No. I is as good as the previous No. XVI.
Maybe one day, I'll make my third trip to Rome and be lucky enough to have an audience with Pope Francis I.
It's good to dream, isn't it?

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home