Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Volleyball in the News-Herald coverage area is outstanding

A year ago when I took over the volleyball beat, I had no idea what to expect.
I had been covering cross country for years and honestly I was excited to leave the mud and rain behind for a warm gym.
Little did I know how good the volleyball talent in this area would be.
In my first year on the beat, I followed Beaumont to the Division II state championship in Dayton where the team won its first championship in school history.
To top it off, Kenston reached the Division I state semifinals.
Two teams from the area at Dayton is outstanding.
My question is, how many area teams can make it to Dayton again this year?
In the regional semifinals this week alone, there are six teams still in the hunt - Beaumont, Gilmour, Kenston, Lake Catholic, Mayfield and Villa Angela-St. Joseph. Are we blessed in this area by the volleyball gods or what?
How does this happen in Northeast Ohio?
It happens because area athletes and their coaches are dedicated to the sport. They don't just compete in it during the high school season. They are involved year around in clubs and Junior Olympics. The girls started practicing at a young age and as a result, their teams have benefited.
The hard work has also paid off for area girls who have earned Division I volleyball scholarships.
It's exciting to be a part of it, and to be able to cover so many talented teams.
Honestly, I've already booked my hotel room in Dayton. I am confident we will have at least one team make it to state. 
The more the better.
Good luck Blue Streaks, Cougars, Bombers, Cougars, Wildcats and Vikings.
Here's to a long postseason!

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home