Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Share your best memories of Mayfield girls basketball coach Tony Ware

Every season when I work on my girls basketball previews, I write an overall story which runs with my capsules.
In the past, I've highlighted various teams, athletes and trends.
This year, I am highlighting a very special coach.
Mayfield girls basketball coach Tony Ware has announced this will be his final year of coaching. His first year at Mayfield was the 1987-88 season in which the Wildcats went 6-15.
During his 25-year career as head coach at Mayfield, Ware has had just six losing season. At one stretch from 1991-92 and 2000-01, he led the Wildcats to nine consecutive winning seasons. 
During his tenure, the Wildcats have won four conference championships, nine sectional championships, four district runner-up titles and one district championship.
Their lone trip to regionals was 2007-08, and I was at the game to cover it.
To refresh my memory on the game, I went to my old-school filing system next to my desk to dig through all of my high school articles which I clip out and save.
The first article I came to was a column I wrote on Feb. 26, 2008.
The first sentence of the column is the following:
"Growing up as the oldest of five children has its advantages and disadvantages."
Some of the advantages I listed were: not having to wear hand-me-downs, being the first to learn how to ride a bike and being able to stay up late with my dad to watch Johnny Carson.
Some of the disadvantages included babysitting and living in a room with  my three sisters. The room had a double set of bunk beds. My parents had their own room and my brother had his own room.
I went on to compare the girls on the Mayfield team to my own sisters. Seniors Hope Mancini, Lauren Gatto and their teammates were a strong, determined group with lots of spunk. I loved watching them play because they somehow always found a way to win. At one stretch during the 2007-08 season, they won 18 straight including their first Division I district championship in school history.
When I reread the column, it brought tears to my eyes.
Mostly because it reminded me of my own sister Amy, who died a little over two months ago. Amy was 40-years old.
The reason I bring this up is because life is too short. The memories you create, the trials you struggle through and the triumphs you enjoy will last a lifetime. 
What matters most is your reaction to what life throws your way.
What also matters is the people who have touched your life over the years.
If you are a former Mayfield girls basketball players, I bet you have a story to share about how playing for T-Ware has touched your life.
What are you fondest memories?
What did you learn about yourself from playing Wildcat basketball?
What lessons did you use later in life that maybe you learned while playing basketball in high school?
Please share your memories.
I'd love to hear from you.
My e-mail is taudia@news-herald.com

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia


 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home