Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fantasy baseball, the old-fashioned way

Around 11 a.m. on Sunday, I was on my way to partake in a concept that has seemingly become less common with fantasy baseball.

News-Herald assistant sports editor Kevin Kleps and I were on our way in my Saturn to Roaming Shores in order to participate in the live offline draft for the league run by my fellow N-H sportswriter John Kampf.

It seems like a foreign concept, especially in this day and age. People getting together in one room and conducting their fantasy baseball draft seems to be something that has gone the way of the rotary phone.

That said, I personally find the idea appealing. We're getting so used to communicating anymore without even being in the same place with someone - email, Facebook, Twitter, text messages, on and on - being able to go old school and announce who you're drafting and see the fellow owners with whom you're drafting is actually kind of intriguing.

Call me old school, but for this one time each year it's a unique experience.

By the way, I'm writing this blog before I head to Roaming Shores, and there's one thing I know for sure - who my MVP is. It's not any baseball player I have or am going to draft. It's my wife Jenni for having the patience to put up with her husband having three fantasy baseball drafts this weekend for different leagues.

I'm sure there's a joke about getting me out of the house, but I'll leave it alone.

- Chris Lillstrung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home