Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rooting for ... Michigan!?!?

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

So there I was Sunday afternoon watching March Madness on CBS, following along with the Duke-Michigan game.

Let's face it folks. For many people, choosing to root for one of those schools is like trying to choose what's best between drifting snow and poor road conditions while driving in a snowstorm.

As that game played out, with Duke securing its place in the Sweet 16 with a 73-71 win, I actually found myself - deep breath - rooting for Michigan.

That's right (gulp), rooting ... for ... Michigan.

For someone whose two favorite college sports programs are Ohio State and West Virginia, I couldn't believe my actions.

Really, that's the kind of effect March Madness has. With tournament pools, it would have thrown things completely out of whack had Duke lost. And since it's the tournament, isn't there a small part of you, regardless of who it is, that roots for the underdog to succeed?

Make no mistake. I can't stand Duke. I can't stand Michigan. It's just a personal preference, and if you like those schools, good for you and I don't begrudge you that.

I just never thought there would be a day during which I would want Michigan to succeed at anything.

But it happened, and I feel better for having admitted it. Let's just hope it never happens again.

- Chris Lillstrung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home