Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dillon Stewart - Lake Catholic Senior Project blog #2

Tonight I completed my second of four days shadowing Bill Tilton, and once again I had a great time. Unfortunately, we were not able to go to Progressive Field and cover the Indians game, because we had to go to Chagrin Falls to cover a high school game between Chagrin Falls and Kenston. Although I was looking forward to seeing an Indians game, this experience showed me how spontaneous, fast-paced, and ever-changing this job could be. Plus, I got to see an exciting, high-scoring game that ended up going into extra innings!

So, Mr. Tilton and I arrived in Chagrin Falls a little bit before 4:30 p.m. and the teams were already warming up. Before the game started we approached each of the coaches and received their starting lineups. Throughout the game, I kept the stats and score of the game and I took notes on some of the important events in the game.

As I mentioned before, I was lucky enough to see an extremely exciting game. This game was explosive from the get-go, with a leadoff home run from Kenston’s Pat Porter. Unfortunately for Kenston, a quick start was not enough. In the end, it was Pat’s cousin, Timmy Porter, who led Chagrin Falls to victory with a walk-off single in extra innings, to put the Tigers up, 7-6. He was accompanied by a great performance by Kurt Vidmer, who had a home run, two doubles, three RBI, and six strikeouts in relief.

After the game Mr. Tilton and I interviewed Porter and Vidmer about their individual, as well as their team’s, performance throughout the game. Mr. Tilton used a Flip video camera to record the interview. I found it really interesting that he used this tool to conduct his interview, rather than just a paper and a pen. This is just another trick of the trade that I have learned in the past two days! After we left the game, it was time to write the article. The notes that we took throughout the game, our observations, and the post game interviews all went into writing the article that will be seen in Wednesday’s paper.

Today was a great opportunity to learn about reporting and conducting interviews, when covering an event. This was a completely different aspect than what I saw yesterday, which is awesome, because I am getting the opportunity to see everything the job entails. I had another great experience today, and I am looking forward to learning even more tomorrow!

-Dillon Stewart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home