Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mistakes can be made picking No. 2

If I've learned anything early in this fantasy baseball season, it is this: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

A simple cliche, no? As often as it is uttered, you'd think I would have learned something.

Au contraire.

As a member of four fantasy baseball leagues - yeah, I know, I have a problem - I was fortunate enough to hit the proverbial jackpot in the draft lottery by being picked to select second in three of the four leagues.

Imagine that stroke of luck. Picking second in three of the four leagues I was entered.

And I blew it.

Thank you very much Hanley Ramirez.

Actually, it's not Ramirez's fault he stinks this year. It's not his fault the Florida shortstop and his nauseating .204 batting average are slaughtering my team.

It's my fault.

Because I picked him No. 2 overall in ALL THREE leagues.

Ouch... Ouch... Ouch.

As expected, Albert Pujols went No. 1 in all three of those leagues. Heck, I would have done backflips if Phat Albert would have fallen to me at No. 2 in any of those leagues, and if he had, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Instead, I told HanRam three times. And am paying a three-fold price for it.

If I learned something, it is this: Spread things around a little. Go for some variety.

Instead of taking Hanley in all three, I probably should have taken Cincinnati first baseman Joey Votto or Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. Then maybe I would be reaping the benefits of a better season than I am having.

Instead, the three leagues in which I picked second have given me records of 3-3, 3-3 and 2-4. To be honest, as bad as my first-round selection is doing, I should be happy to be mired in mediocrity.

I'm hoping Hanley rebounds and produces like he has every other year when he has played like a god and kicked the heck out of me every time I faced him.

If he doesn't, goes through a career worst season and my team blows up because of it, it won't be his fault. It will be mine.

Because I'm the guy who foolishly picked him three times.

- John Kampf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home