Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Sunday really unlike any other

It's the second Sunday in February, and I'm sitting at home. For most people, that's not unusual at all.

It feels extremely unusual for me.

The second Sunday in February usually means driving down Ridge Road, making a left onto Memphis Avenue and pulling into the Brooklyn Recreation Center for the Baron Cup finals.

Unfortunately, for the first time since 2005, it won't be happening this year.

For the first time in seven years and only the second time in 12 years on the high school hockey beat, the second Sunday in February won't be spent in any form at Brooklyn because The News-Herald coverage area is not represented in any of the three Baron Cup championship games.

St. Ignatius vs. Shaker Heights in Baron Cup I? Tempting, but not my area.

Amherst Steele vs. Solon in Baron Cup II? Nope.

Cleveland Heights vs. Midview in Baron Cup III? Not quite.

I won't be turning toward the flag for the national anthem, trying to keep my balance on the bleachers. I won't hear the familiar tone of the PA announcer with "man advantage" and "icing" - if you know the sport locally, you understand. I won't be covering as many as three games in one day, and enjoying every minute of it.

Not this time.

Now, my wife actually likes having me home, and yes it is nice to be home on a Sunday.

But boy, does this one Sunday in particular feel odd.

It's days like this I'm reminded just how fortunate we've been in the Baron Cup over the years - University's dominance, Mayfield and Chagrin Falls winning Baron Cups, Lake Catholic's runs.

Not bad at all.

When the day is done, I'll check in and see how it went - yet without as much of a vested interest as normal.

- Chris Lillstrung

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home