Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Reebok's EasyTone running shoes may not be a bargain afterall

I was desperate for new running shoes today so I went to my two favorite stores, Marshall's and T.J. Maxx.
Obviously, I am not a running shoe connoisseur.
I am too frugal to shop at a running shoe specialty shop. But I may start treating myself.
On my first stop at Marshall's, the selection was slim.
Being the frugal shopper I am, I started looking in the clearance section, but couldn't find any running shoes in my size. Then I went to the regularly priced area where there were plenty of gray and black shoes, but no cool white ones.
Cool white shoes with highlights of color are a priority for me. Shoes that have a lot of cushion are also a priority.
Again, I am no shoe expert.
When I couldn't find what I liked at Marshall's, my next stop was T.J. Maxx.
Sitting there on display were cool white shoes with pink highlights.
The price of $24.99 was right so I tried a pair of Reebok EasyTone shoes on. They fit, but I felt a little off balanced when I stood up. But how could I go wrong with these shoes, they have "moving air technology," - whatever that means. Also, they were the only cool shoes available in my size (with lots of cushion).
So I bought them.
But now I am rethinking my purchase.
When I did a quick search of Reebok EasyTone shoes, I came up with a website that linked me to the Federal Trade Commission.
Oh, this can't be good.
According to the FTC report which was released Sept. 28, 2011, the shoes were at a bargain price for a reason.
"In its ongoing effort to stem overhyped advertising claims, the Federal Trade Commission announced that Reebok International Ltd. has agreed to resolve charges that the company deceptively advertised "toning shoes," which it claimed would provide extra tone and strength to leg and buttock muscles. Reebok will pay $25 million as part of the settlement agreement."
Being the stubborn woman I am, I am going to keep the shoes and try them out.
Really, how bad can they be?
They have to be better than the old worn out New Balanced shoes I have now (which I bought on clearance for $35 at Marshall's by the way).
Maybe one day I'll learn and go to a real shoe store.
For now, I'll take my bargain and run with it.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia





Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home