Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Running can teach you a lot about yourself

It's been almost a year now since I consistently started running.
When I started out in January, I could only run one mile without stopping.
Twelve months later, I'm up to running six miles straight without stopping. That's a big accomplishment for me because honestly, I didn't think I could ever run that far.
But once you get hooked, you just want more.
You want to see how far you can push yourself. You want to see how fast you can go. You want to see if you can run more than the previous day.
It's very motivating.
For years, I've been lifting weights, swimming, biking, doing the elliptical, workout classes at the YMCA and more. But once you get older, it doesn't seem to be enough. You have to do more to maintain your weight.
That's why I started running.
Now, I love it.
It took me a few months before I realized I should start out slow and finish fast. For months, I was starting fast and struggling to finish.
There is plenty more I need to learn, specifically, how to use a running watch which I'm guessing isn't all that difficult. For now, I'll use my iPod which has a fitness app. It's very helpful to know how far you've run and what pace you are going.
Along with the mechanics of running, I've learned a lot about myself.
I've learned I can push myself even further than I ever thought imaginable. I've learned to run in snow, rain, extreme heat and stiff winds. Running is so mental. You just have to keep telling yourself you can do it. You have to believe you can finish what you started.
That theory holds true in all areas of life.
My goal in 2013 is to run a half marathon. From there, I plan to run a full marathon.
It's not going to be easy, I know.
But the training has made me a stronger person, physically and mentally.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home