Wednesday, August 24, 2011

High school girls golfers are learning a sport they can play forever

I spent Tuesday afternoon at Manakiki Golf Course covering a dual girls golf match between visiting Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin and South.
South coach Mark Habat and NDCL coach Sam Rayl were kind enough to cart me around on their golf courts while their girls played nine holes of golf on a bright, sunny day.
I was so impressed by the girls.
They played so well.
Both teams are expected to go well into the postseason this year, especially the Lions who have advanced to state three consecutive years.
What I wanted to tell each of the girls was to stick with the sport. They won't regret it. It's a sport they can participate in for the rest of their lives.
My younger sister Kelly Neuhoff is a perfect example.
We attended Lorain Catholic High School which did not have a girls golf team. Kelly instead played for the boys golf team. She was one of the only girls in the area to play golf.
Years later, my sister is a successful businesswoman at Nationwide Insurance. She often golfs for work and with friends in her free time.
She is the best golfers I know, male or female.
She hits from the men's tees and often amazes everyone around her with the strength in which she hits the ball.
My sister impresses me in countless ways, and I am so proud of her for so many things. Golf is just one of the many things she excels in.
I wish I could golf.
Maybe one day, I'll learn.
Until then, I will live vicariously through my sister, a three-sport athlete in high school, who to this day is the fittest woman I know.

-Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home