Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Cleveland sports quotes of the year

Here's a look at the best quotes from the Browns, Cavaliers, Indians, Ohio State, local colleges and area high school sports in 2012.

- Howard Primer

Jan. 2: “My thing is, if you’re dependent on a draft pick to come in here and change your life, then you’re kidding yourself. This game is too hard. There’s too big of a jump to come in from college and think that he’s going to come in … Who does it? Maybe Randy Moss did it.” Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown.

Jan. 5: “I want to emphasize this again. We are building this a certain way. I have the utmost confidence in Pat to get this done. No one’s on the hot seat.” Browns president Mike Holmgren, on Coach Pat Shurmur.

Jan. 7: “They beat us three times. They’re the better team. I hate to say it, but they are.” Madison wrestling coach Ryan Wirtzberger, after Perry beat Madison in the Pin City Invitational.

Jan. 19: “I thought about going out the side door, but I couldn’t find one.” Lakeland women’s coach Gary Hicks, after the Lakers lost to Columbus State, 83-59.

Feb. 9: “Nine layups! We missed nine layups! That’s either a lack of focus, or being uptight. And there was no reason to be uptight because we were playing at home.” Cleveland State coach Gary Waters, after the Vikings lost to Valpraiso, 59-41.

Feb. 17: “It looked like we were scared to death. The lights were too bright for a lot of our guys. I was surprised we didn’t take the fight to them. It’s tough to accept we didn’t come out and fight.” Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, after the Cavs lost to Miami, 111-87.

Feb. 21: “People don’t see everything that is going on with a program. They only see the record, but these kids work their tails off, and I love this group as much as any I have ever coached. I’ve been a slug around here the last week, and these guys have kept me going.” Outgoing Perry boys basketball coach Chad Frazier.

March 2: “Brad Marshall, he’s got eight staples out of his head, and he can’t go through a metal detector because of his wrist. The kid is gutsy.” University hockey coach Bill Beard, after the Preppers beat Gilmour in the Kent District final.

March 23: “Some years, when the season ends, it’s not the end of the world, for whatever reason, and you just move on. But this really feels like a family, and I’m just not ready to say goodbye to this team.” Lake Catholic boys basketball coach Mark Chicone, after the Cougars lost to Dayton Dunbar in a Division II state semifinal.

March 26: “Since I’m the coach, and I know the offense, and I see when you don’t know it, I think my opinion is a lot more important than his. He can disagree all he wants. I know what I see every day in practice.” Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, on Omri Casspi not knowing all the team’s plays 46 games into the season.

March 30: “One of those nights where I can’t find the words to match my emotions (at least non-profane words. Cavs fans deserve better; much better.” Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, on Twitter, after a 121-84 home loss to Milwaukee.

April 19: “Oh, you have no idea. It’s been talked about all week here. We’re going to get after him and make him play scared. We’ll get the job done.” Mentor defensive lineman Tom Strobel, on facing Mr. Football Maty Mauk in the Ohio North-South all-star football game. Mauk ended up sitting out with a hamstring injury.

April 25: “It’s time for me to move on. I don’t know what the future holds. I have a good feeling this is my last home game and tomorrow my last game with the Cavs in general. I think it’s on the wall. I wish these guys great luck.” Antawn Jamison

April 26: “This is bigger than winning the national championship. I’m on Cloud Nine right now.” Alabama running back Trent Richardson, after being drafted by the Browns.

May 20: “I’m tired of getting booed at home, so I figured I’d throw strikes today. … It doesn’t bother me, it (ticks) me off. I don’t think they have a reason to boo me. They booed me against the Mariners when I had two guys on. It feels like I can’t even give up a baserunner without people booing me. It’s even worse when there’s only 5,000 in the stands, because then you can hear it. It (ticks) me off.” Indians closer Chris Perez, after closing out a 2-0 victory against the Marlins at Progressive Field.

May 24: “Did he forget his ID?” Indians starter Justin Masterson, after reliever Joe Smith ran out to replace him during a 2-1 win over the Tigers before realizing he hadn’t been called into the game. Earlier in the week, Smith had reportedly tried to gain entry into a bar by saying he didn’t have any identification, but that he pitched for the Indians.

May 25: “I said, ‘Lord, if you’ve got one more miracle for us. Next pitch, BAM!” Lake Catholic baseball coach Dennis Woods, after the Cougars won the regional championship on a walkoff home run by Zach Hawkins.

May 25: “This whole year has been for our community. Not just for us or just for our families, but for everybody. I won’t forget a single day of this season. Not a single inning of it. I’ll never go through anything like this again.” Chardon baseball player Tanner Dovsek, after the Hilltoppers lost a regional final to Massillon Perry.

June 2: “We’re back, and I’m very proud to say that.” VASJ boys track and field coach Dan LaRocco, after the Vikings won the 4x200 relay and finished second as a team at the state track and field meet.

June 9: “Step in the right direction. That’s great. It took over two-something months for us to get shut out. It’s a credit to the guys. They’ve been battling. It had to happen.” Indians manager Manny Acta, while giving two thumbs up, after the Tribe was shut out for the first time in 2012, 2-0 in St. Louis.

June 10: “I drank some warm water and I ran out there and it just didn’t settle well. What am I going to do, call time out and run into the dugout?" Indians closer Chris Perez, after spitting up fluid between pitches during a 4-1 victory over the Cardinals.

June 17: “There is a reason why ball clubs want cities to build stadiums for them. If it was a wise investment, they’d do it themselves.’’ Steve Komarjanski, the lone member of Eastlake City Council who consistently opposed a stadium project that is now Classic Park

June 29: “There’s only one other player we would have (taken). That’s the one that went No. 1 (Kentucky’s Anthony Davis)." Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, on the team picking Dion Waiters with the fourth pick in the NBA draft.

July 5: “Mom, does this mean I get to play football for Ohio State?” Boy at Buckeyes football coach Urban Meyer’s free camp at SPIRE Institute in Geneva.

July 15: “I asked guys on the bench for advice. I changed mechanically probably 50 times, just trying to find anything. The ball wasn’t coming out too good, so it was just try to invent stuff to keep yourself in the game.” Indians starter Derek Lowe, after losing to the Blue Jays, 3-0.

July 22: “I wanted the opportunity to sign. If I didn’t do that, I wouldn’t be able to sign.” Roberto Hernandez, after returning to the Indians, on why he used the identity of Fausto Carmona.

July 29: “I’d be lying if I told you this doesn’t deflate you a little bit. It’s one of those things where this time of year you start to scoreboard watch a little bit.” Indians outfielder Shelley Duncan, after the Tribe was swept by the Twins to fall to 50-52.

Aug. 3: “There’s no reason why this can’t be a winning franchise. Everything is here. If they don’t, I accept the blame. Every other piece is in place. Great fan base. We have the money. We just have to execute.” Incoming Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III, at his introductory news conference.

Aug. 6: “I’m very happy with the job Manny has done. He’s provided good leadership for this team. He is part of the solution, not part of the problem.” Indians general manager Chris Antonetti, after an 0-9 trip.

Aug. 8: “It’s finally over with. It was like a disease or a virus. It was tough to kick, but we finally did.” Indians reliever Vinnie Pestano, after the Tribe broke an 11-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the Twins.

Aug. 13: “You know how I feel about tweets and twitters, No. 1. I told you what happened, and that’s what happened, so I don’t know. I only hear what gets tweeted, but he had a concussion and we’re treating it as such.” Browns coach Pat Shurmur, after receiver Mohamed Massaquoi tweeted about a head injury.

Aug. 16: “It’s no secret. We’re going to need to improve our offense. We’re going to have to find a solution in left field, we’re going to have to find a solution at first base and we’re going to have to find a solution at DH. That’s pretty obvious. And the third-base situation is not determined, either. Lonnie (Chisenhall) has a broken arm. The guys that are here right now are fine and doing what they can, but we expect more.” Indians manager Manny Acta

Aug. 22: “It’s never been done in the history of the game where 25 guys are released. They should relax. If one guy is going to go, it’s going to be me, not them.” Indians manager Manny Acta, after the Indians lost their eighth game in a row.

Aug. 30: “I’ve never been through a month like this anywhere — in the minors, in winter ball, or in the majors as a coach or manager.” Indians manager Manny Acta, after the Tribe lost to the A’s 12-7, to fall to 5-23 in August.

Sept. 5: “I asked Jim if that was a makeup call from two years ago, and he told me that I was going to give him a heart attack if I kept doing that here.” The Indians’ Jason Donald, after being called out by umpire Jim Joyce on a close play at first base in a game played at Detroit. Donald was called safe by Joyce on a close play that cost Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game in 2010.

Sept. 5: “Different owners. It comes down to that. They are spending money. He (Detroit owner Mike Ilitch) wants to win. Even when the economy was down (in Detroit), he spent money. He’s got a team to show for it. You get what you pay for in baseball. Sometimes you don’t. But most of the time you do.” Indians closer Chris Perez

Sept. 12: “Brandon Weeden is our starter, and he’s going to get better.” Browns coach Pat Shurmur

Sept. 19: “It’s something I’ve been praying for for 14 years.” Browns kicker Phil Dawson, after incoming owner Jimmy Haslam III said he would look at potentially putting a retractable roof on Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Sept. 22: “I’ve got a diploma made up on the sideline with his name on it. I’d be glad to give it to him right now.” University football coach Jim Stephens, before South running back Kareem Hunt rushed for 330 yards and six touchdowns in the Rebels’ 53-21 victory over the Preppers.

Sept. 22: “My responsibility is to get them ready to play. Again, I did not get that done.” Lake Erie College football coach Mark McNellie, after a 51-24 loss to Saginaw Valley State.

Sept. 23: “Some of these guys hadn’t beaten Chagrin since they were in third or fourth grade. Some of the seniors were in tears. It made me realize how special this rivalry is.” Kenston football coach Jeff Grubich, on the Bombers’ 28-17 win over Chagrin Falls.

Sept. 27: “This is a tough day because I know I’m also responsible. The accountability lies with me.” Indians general manager Chris Antonetti, after Manager Manny Acta was fired.

Oct. 3: “A lot of that (frustration) went out the door last week. The Manny you see and the Manny we see are different.” Indians closer Chris Perez, on former Indians manager Manny Acta.

Oct. 4: “I’m not insensitive to it. I live here. I was told (about the move) before I got here. I eat in Cleveland restaurants. I don’t know what to tell you, other than the fact I get it. But I think it’s important as head coach to keep their eye on the ball going forward.” Browns coach Pat Shurmur, on why he didn’t tell players to watch a documentary about the 1995 Browns.

Oct 8: “I want everyone to know I sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart. It’s no script. Nobody is telling me what to say. It was a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes, but my mistake hurt a lot more people than I ever would have thought.” Browns cornerback Joe Haden, upon returning from a four-game suspension for using a performance-enhancer.

Oct. 12: “This program has a lot of great tradition. But in terms of the last four or five years, there’s no doubt about it — this is a signature win.” Riverside football coach Dave Bors, after the Beavers beat Chardon, 21-13.

Oct. 17: “I’ll be in a straightjacket if it takes that long.” Incoming Browns CEO Joe Banner, on a five-year plan to rebuild the team.

Oct. 18: “I got off a cruise boat and somebody said we signed Josh Gordon. I said, ‘Who’s Josh Gordon?’ ” Browns offensive coordinator Brad Childress, recalling how he learned about the team’s selection in the supplemental draft.

Oct. 20: “I’m still trying to figure this bad boy out. We won, right?” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, after the Buckeyes beat Purdue, 29-22, in overtime.

Oct. 26: “We knew three years ago when we played eight sophomores we were going to take some lumps. Now look at them, they’re seniors and they’re champions.” NDCL football coach Byron Morgan, after the Lions defeated Lake Catholic, 21-0, to win the NCL Blue Division.

Oct. 30: “Looking back, it wasn’t the most brilliant thing I’ve ever done.” Cavs owner Gilbert, on the letter he sent out in the immediate aftermath of LeBron James announcing he would sign with the Miami Heat.

Nov. 10: “Mr. Football, if he doesn’t get it, it’s a crime. And you can tell everybody I said that.” Mentor football coach Steve Trivisonno, on quarterback Mitch Trubisky, after the Cardinals beat St. Edward in a Division I regional semifinal.

Nov. 12: “That quarterback, Trubisky, he’s the real deal. He performed great.” Browns coach Pat Shurmur on Mentor quarterback Mitch Trubisky. Shurmur’s son plays for St. Edward, which lost to the Cardinals in a Division I regional semifinal.

Nov. 17: “People may have counted us out, but we’re the Kirtland Hornets. We wear these jerseys with pride every week.” Kirtland quarterback Scott Eilerman, after the Hornets beat Youngstown Ursuline, 38-37, in a Division V regional final, including a rally from 24-0 down at halftime.

Nov. 18: “I think our kids were like, ‘Listen, these guys aren’t that good.’ They weren’t sitting there thinking Ursuline was so much better than us. They were ticked off that we were self-destructing.” Kirtland football coach Tiger LaVerde, a day after the Hornets beat Youngstown Ursuline, 38-37, in a Division V regional final.

Nov. 24: “We’re 12-0, and I’m going to see to it when you walk into that Woody Hayes facility, that this team will never be forgotten because they deserve that.” Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer, after the Buckeyes defeated Michigan.

Nov. 27: “I’ll make this a real quick statement. Anderson Varejao was fantastic. Everyone else sucked tonight. Anything else you want to know?” Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, after a 91-78 loss to the Suns.

Dec. 7: “I’m trying to figure out a way to say this without getting fined. It was that bad. It really was. It was that bad. I mean I understand we’re playing in Minnesota, but 35-9, we went to the basket just as much as they did. I think we had 38 attempts in the paint to their 34, we get nine free throws, I think that speaks for itself.” Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, after a 91-73 loss at Minnesota.

Dec. 10: “He took a chunk out of there. I thought they were going to stop the game and bring out a dump truck. Being a baseball player, I thought it would look a little easier.” Browns coach Pat Shurmur, on quarterback Brandon Weeden’s attempt to slide against the Chiefs a day earlier.

Dec. 16: “Today we let ourselves down, and we let the whole city of Cleveland down. Everybody, especially season-ticket holders, I feel bad for them and want to come to them and apologize.” Browns running back Trent Richardson, after losing to Washington, 38-21.

Dec. 21: “I’ve got my master’s in sports psychology, and I need to start using it. We need to regroup and focus on some of the mistakes we’ve been making. I’ve got to get in their head and have them get over this loss.” Mentor wrestling coach Jim Capel, after the Cardinals fell to Lake Catholic, 42-19.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home