Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Nutrition is key when working out

If I had a choice between cooking and cleaning my house, I would choose cleaning any day of the week.
I'm sure my husband wishes it was just the opposite, but honestly, I'm not a very good cook.
I do just enough to get by. Thank God, I have an Italian mother-in-law who lives near by. She loves to cook and is always giving my husband and I great leftovers.
But this year, I think I need to focus more on cooking nutritious meals. Especially since my husband and I workout several times a week.
You can't deplete your body and expect to just get by.
You have to eat right.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, there is a simple formula for eating right. It can be found  here at the website ChooseMyPlate.gov.
For someone who can't cook, this is an easy one. Half of your plate should consist of fruits and vegetables. Any fruit or 100% fruit juice is part of the Fruit Group. Any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice is part of the Vegetable Group.
Here is the portion of the plate I struggle with - protein.
The guidelines for most adults is between 5-6 ounces of protein which can be anything from meat, poultry, seafood, beans, eggs, processed soy products, nuts and seeds. I am guessing the daily protein shakes I drink don't really count. I'm sure you have to eat real food (which entails cooking).
Next comes grains (which seems to be an easy one for most people). The catch is the 5-8 ounces of grain required should be whole grains. The Italian white bread I love from Alecsi's is out.
Three cups is the daily requirement for dairy for most people. All fluid milk products and foods made from milk are part of this group. The catch is products should be fat-free or low-fat. Real butter is not part of the deal.
Finally, oil is included in the ChooseMyPlate.gov guidelines. But it must be used sparingly.
The star burst candies I bought today are no where to be found on the guideline. Either are the butterscotch and peppermint candies in my desk drawer at work.
So it looks like I'm going to have to start eating better if I want to keep my weight off and improve my workouts.
Who's with me on this eating right kick?
Also, does any one know of a cool place to take cooking lessons?

- Theresa Neuhoff Audia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home